Secret File #005: The Must-Have in Your Email Campaign
All other email marketing strategy won't work if no one's reading your email. In this episode, we discuss about the FIRST thing you must do to make sure your email marketing strategy works
Starting an e-mail campaign can be tough, especially when you hate writing or don't know where to begin. Trust me, I've been there. It's funny how things are - I don't really enjoy reading and I most definitely don't like writing. Yet, here I am because I have a bigger mission worthy of me going against the grains just for you!I quickly overcame my discontentment with reading and writing long content when I realize how necessary they both are especially in today's day and age.
That discontentment was more for academic stuff, but non-boring stuff that I'm passionate about (like this whole blog I created just for you) is totally okay for me.Let's push that aside and discuss why you're actually here..I've learnt long ago that it is extremely crucial for you to have this one important content in your email campaign for it to be successful. Following this tip alone has helped me see the light at the end of a crowded tunnel of the email marketing world.
There are a few other tips that are equally important, but I'll be focusing on this one key must-have in this post. Without this, you are unable to even have anyone reading your emails and reducing your open rates.That one thing is....*drum rolls*
Tell your subscribers to WHITELIST you!
Oh my God.. This is the most important of them all! You must tell your subscribers to Whitelist your emails. If they don't, you'll slowly stop showing up in their inbox. When left unopened over a long period of time, these emails will automatically be classified by email service providers as "SPAM" or "JUNK". You wouldn't want that to happen to your emails. After all, you've put in tireless hours into perfecting that email sequence and campaign. It will be such a waste to see those subscribers go!
What is a Whitelist?
A whitelist is a list of e-mail addresses or domain names from which an e-mail blocking program will allow messages to be received. Emails received that have been marked as safe in the whitelist will go through straight to the inbox, while others that are detected as unsafe will go straight to the spam filters of your email service provider.Adding your email to your subscriber's whitelist will make it possible for them to receive your email safely, without their email service provider ever considering them as spam. You'll especially want to tell your subscribers to move your emails to their whitelist, else they'll never get a chance to see your lovely emails. Now, that would be sad, wouldn't it?
So, here's how you can tell your subscribers to Whitelist you.
Let me go down to the details.
1. Explain its importance
Explain with your own brand style and vibe about why it's important to have your emails in their whitelist. It could be due to your monthly deals, exclusive only to those in your mailing list. You could be releasing a product really soon at a special rate, and only those in your mailing list will have the discount code. Or, you could be the regular marketer whose emails on (insert topic) is really important and won't reach your subscribers otherwise.Whatever it is, you must explain to them why it's important. Then, your subscribers will consider its importance.
2. Help them Take Action
But, considering the importance of your emails just isn't enough. You'd want them to take action. Make it easy for them by providing a simple guide on how to add your email to their Whitelist. There are multiple ways on how you could do it: video walkthrough, written tutorial or even linking official guides from their email service provider.When you make it easy for them, they'll then take action quickly. That's what you want.
3. Remind them again after you sign off
Know about TL;DR? It's short for Too Long; Didn't Read. Happens a lot in today's digital media, where we're just bombarded with too much information that we're unable to separate the truth from the fake ones. TL;DR is commonly practised as a summary for online posts or news articles.You too can add a TL;DR after you sign off to remind your subscribers to add you to their whitelist. Here's an example:
TL;DR? Add our email address to your whitelist to receive monthly deals from us. You wouldn't want to miss out on that!
Having said all the above, AWeber has a visual guide to whitelist emails quickly. I've modified it here for your convenience based on the devices and service provider you use:
1. Tap sender’sname2. Choose “Create New Contact”3. Tap “Done” to save
1. Tap picture of the sender2. Tap the add to contacts icon3. Tap “Create new contact”4. Choose the correct account if you are signed into multiple email addresses5. Tap the check mark to save
1. Open email in your inbox2. Hover over the sender’s name3. Select “Add to contacts” to save the sender to your Contacts listYou can also whitelist in Gmail before opening the email: Just hover over the sender’s name next to the subject line and select “Add to contacts” to save to your Contacts list.Once done with that, do the following steps.1. Drag email from your Promotions tab to your Primary tab2. When asked, “Do this for future messages?” select “Yes”Congratulations, now your email is whitelist!
1. Open email in your inbox2. Click on the sender’s email address3. Click “Add to Contacts”
Outlook 2003 (and higher)
1. Open email in your inbox.2. Right click “Click here” to download images in the gray bar at the top of the message.3. Click “Add Sender to Safe Senders List.”
1. Open email in your inbox2. Click on the sender’s email address3. Click “…”4. Choose “Add to contacts”5. Add additional information if needed6. Click save to finish
Windows Live Mail
1. Open email in your inbox2. Click on the sender’s email address3. Click “Add”4. Add additional information if needed5. Click save to finishNow, it's your turn to whitelist our emails so you'll receive information on Secret Files like this to help you launch and grow your business. We're never too old to learn, and never to late to earn. So, let's just keep going strong towards our goals!Till next Tuesday!
Keep believing in yourself because the world needs an inspiration just like you. I’ll see you in the next episode of Fempreneur Secrets